Managing everything on your to-do list is hard enough without worrying about if your HVAC contractor is doing the work they promised. That’s why it’s a huge help when you can find a service provider that can provide you with a tangible proof of the work they do. It’s absolutely essential to obtain that concrete proof of service if you’re a facilities manager engaged in a balancing act between multiple locations. The fact is, you don’t have time to personally oversee every HVAC maintenance and repair visit. So without that proof, how can you be sure exactly what was done?
Reputable HVAC contractors will supply you with evidence of the work performed. You should not settle for a contractor not willing or able to back up a job with proof of service. Let’s take a look at some service traits that you should look for when you are trying to find a contractor you can trust.
1. Reputable HVAC contractors are good communicators.
Effective communication is standard operating procedure for good air conditioning service providers. HVAC contractors have many ways to communicate with customers, with everything from reminders about upcoming HVAC maintenance visits to reports about aging equipment experiencing frequent repair issues.
Cell phones allow for quick communication; you should expect a technician to call you if they are running late. You should also expect emails and text messages that remind you about upcoming appointments and alert you that your service tech is on the way. You might also choose to receive messages via various social media platforms. With today’s superior communication tools, there is no excuse for spotty communication.
2. Reputable HVAC contractors recognize the unique needs of multi-facility owners & managers.
The best HVAC contractors have experience dealing with companies that have multiple locations. They appreciate the difficulties that come with running several different stores, restaurants, or buildings. The right contractor can help you to ease the logistical and organizational hurdles you face. Here are some of the ways a service provider can help you overcome HVAC maintenance challenges:
- Dedicated account manager. Reputable HVAC contractors have adequate staffing to take care of your needs. Ideally, they can provide you with an account manager dedicated to your HVAC maintenance. Having an account manager assigned to you ensures service continuity, eliminates confusion, and gives you peace of mind. You will have a single point of contact that knows the maintenance history at each of your locations.
- Quarterly status reports. Expect your quality HVAC contractor to provide you with quarterly status reports. As a facilities manager and a non-expert in the HVAC field, you would be hard-pressed to guess what maintenance is on the horizon and the related expenses involved. The best HVAC contractors will meet with you quarterly to review HVAC operations at each location. Your HVAC vendor can show you system operational trends over the months or even years, and give you information to budget for upgrades and replacements.
- Reminders and alerts. Reputable HVAC contractors will make you aware of when a maintenance visit is scheduled to take place at each location, so you can alert your staff in advance when to expect the technician to arrive. That can be especially important for restaurants or other businesses where service might need to be performed during specific hours. Your HVAC contractor should know each one of your buildings inside and out and alert you if one of your locations seems to have more maintenance visits than others, which could signal impending equipment replacements. Vendors can also monitor energy efficiency at each one of your sites and make recommendations for improvements that save money.
3. Reputable HVAC contractors are living in the electronic age.
HVAC contractors no longer rely on paper work orders. You no longer have to sift through a stack of papers to try and figure out what services technicians performed at a single one of your locations. Look for HVAC service providers that outfit their technicians with mobile technology. These devices allow techs to record the work they do and transmit work orders via email upon completion of each job.
4. The best contractors give you actual proof of service.
A few top HVAC providers, like Arista Air, have taken communication to a whole new level by investing in cutting-edge technology. Arista uses video technology that empowers our customers by bringing the service call to your computer screen or smart device of their choice. Through its partnership with XOi Technologies, Arista Air provides evidence-based service.
Here’s how it works. Outfitted with wearable recording technology that resembles safety glasses, Arista’s technicians video-document the main tasks performed on your HVAC system. After the job is completed, Arista provides you with a link to access your service call video.
This enhanced form of communication benefits all Arista’s clients and is especially valuable to clients with multiple facilities. As a manager of multiple locations, there are times when you probably wish you could clone yourself. Being in two places at once is not an option and Arista can supply you with an alternative. When you watch your service call video, you’ll see your equipment and hear the technician describe the work he performed. This proof of service provides the clarity that a phone call or work order cannot offer.
Proof makes your job easier
As a facilities manager, you undoubtedly would welcome tools that can ease the pressure of running multiple locations and ultimately provide you with the best HVAC service. Isn’t time to get the proof of service that shows you that you are getting the services listed on your bill? To learn more about how new technology promotes service call transparency, check out our free guide: Evidence-Based Approach to Choosing an HVAC Company.